- Periodically polling for changes is potentially slow and intensive.
inotify(kernel subsystem that monitors changes to the filesystem)
- recursive directory watches (X)
- Fixed-sized buffer. Can overflow.
- No native debouncing support.
- Race conditions.
- API issues (no event information.)
- Having a more native File Watcher would be nice.
- Matt Rickard
Yeah exactly! Two benefits (1) callbacks closer to the metal and (2) tough to fit all file watching use cases in a single API and deliver good performance (not all consumers care about recursive watching, dropping events, etc)
— Matt Rickard (@mattrickard) October 7, 2022