Translation Look-aside Buffers
- using multi-level page table can save space.
- example: for 32-bit virtual address, 1 GB physical memory, and 4 kB pages how many bits do we need for the frame number? 1GB = 30 physical address bits. 4KB is 12 offset bits. Thus we need 30-12 = 18 bits for the frame number.
- but this multi-level can also be very expensive, because we need to lookup that many times
- potential solution: cache this! called translation look-aside buffers.
- Similar to Cache Average Access Time,