- @levelsio on Twitter ($3M/Y)
- Most of the products don't make any revenue at all.
- Success in the world of indie developers is an outlier business
- Around 5% of the products we analyzed generate a monthly revenue exceeding $8,333 (around $100K/year), which is relatively easy to earn as a software engineer in a full-time job.
- $14 million annual recurring revenue
- No idea like this had existed, and the domain BuiltWith was somehow not taken already
- For instance, certain pieces of code can be used to identify if Adsense is used vs. Adzerk or some other advertising method
- AboutUs was an internet domain directory containing information about millions of businesses. Gary showed Ray BuiltWith, and Ray immediately loved it. He added a BuiltWith.com link to every record in their index to provide BuiltWith information regarding each business
- This added tens of millions of links; for those who aren't SEO experts, backlinks (pages that link to your site) are the key to ranking high. And BuiltWith just exploded with traffic
- BuiltWith's value comes down to a straightforward concept.
- Competitive Advantage. Aka, you'll earn more money from this
- BuiltWith has turned into a colossal database of everything on the internet
- he realized one thing, BuiltWith didn't need this