As we create the conditions for our people to thrive, we will continue to make America the destination of choice for talent worldwide. Since the founding of our Nation, America has been strengthened and renewed by immigrants seeking opportunity and refuge on our shores—a unique strategic advantage. We will continue working with Congress and taking executive action to ensure our immigration and refugee systems are fair, orderly, humane, easier to navigate, and consistent with our values and the law. And we will take further measures to ensure the United States remains the world's top destination for talent.
National Security and Competition
- The world is at an inflection point.
- The post-Cold War era is over, and competition exists between significant powers to shape what comes next.
- The 2022 National Security Strategy aims to advance America's vital interests and position the United States to outmaneuver geopolitical competitors.
- The idea of competing with major autocratic powers to shape the international order enjoys broad support that is bipartisan at home and deepening abroad.
- The US will modernize and strengthen its military for the era of strategic competition with significant powers.
- The US will invest in the underlying sources and tools of American power and influence and build the most robust possible coalition of nations to enhance collective impact.
- While the US competes vigorously, it will manage the competition responsibly.
Challenges and Threats
- People worldwide are struggling to cope with the effects of shared challenges that cross borders.
- Infectious diseases, terrorism, violent extremism, irregular migration, and other threats often emerge or accelerate due to more profound development challenges, and once they do, they do not recognize national borders.
- The global energy crisis is driven by Russia's weaponization of oil and gas supplies it controls, exacerbated by OPEC's management of its collection.
- The People's Republic of China (PRC) presents America's most significant geopolitical challenge.
- The PRC harbors the intention and increases the capacity to reshape the international order in favor of one that tilts the global playing field to its benefit.
- Russia poses an immediate threat to the free and open international system, recklessly defying the fundamental laws of the international order.
- The PRC is the only competitor intending to reshape the international order and, increasingly, the economic, diplomatic, military, and technological power to advance that objective.
- Russia's brutal and unprovoked war on its neighbor Ukraine has shattered peace in Europe and impacted stability everywhere, and its reckless nuclear threats endanger the global non-proliferation regime.
- Americans will support universal human rights.
- The US does not believe that governments and societies everywhere must be remade in America's image for the US to be secure.
- The US has a tradition of transforming domestic and foreign challenges into opportunities to spur reform and rejuvenation at home.
- The US wants a free, open, prosperous, and secure international order.
- Governments want sustainable public finances, workers want to be treated with dignity and respect, innovators want to be rewarded for their ingenuity and risk-taking, and enterprising businesses wish to open and accessible waters through which their products can be traded.
- The US will defend every inch of NATO territory. We will continue to build and deepen a coalition with allies and partners to prevent Russia from causing further harm to European security, democracy, and institutions.
- The US will deter and respond to Russian actions that threaten core US interests, including Russian attacks on its infrastructure and democracy.
- The US will sustain and develop pragmatic modes of interaction to handle issues on which dealing with Russia can be mutually beneficial.
- For 75 years, the US has maintained a strong and consistent defense presence and will continue to contribute to the stability and peace of the Indo-Pacific region.
- The US reaffirms its iron-clad commitments to its Indo-Pacific treaty allies and will continue modernizing these alliances.
- The US reaffirms its unwavering commitment to the defense of Japan under the mutual security treaty, which covers the Senkaku Islands.
- The US and India will work together, bilaterally and multilaterally, to support their shared vision of a free and open Indo-Pacific